Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sitting Pretty

Yesterday afternoon I stopped by Clutter , a terrific furniture consignment store in downtown Boulder.  I wasn't looking for anything in particular, and actually had no intention of bringing anything home.  Almost immediately I spotted this upholstered bench and knew that I wanted it.  I liked it in the store, but now that it is home I LOVE it. 

Is it insane to want to design an entire room around one fairly small piece of furniture?  I really hope not, since I spent the better part of today finding inspiration for such a space.


The room in my imagination would look something like this, but most likely minus the red.  It's not that I don't like red, it's more about the current color of the upholstery on the bench.

First I would start with a charming bed like this.

Or perhaps one like this....

Or even a bed similar to this one would look great.


For bed linens I imagine something crisp and comfortable.







I enjoy all of the options above, but I am drawn to theses ticking stripe linens from Matteo Home

Now that we have an idea about the bed, let's take a look at the inspiration room again.


Other items of importance in this room are side tables/dressers, lamps, rugs and a few accessories.

What I like about the side tables in the inspiration room is that they double as dressers, and provide much needed storage.




Either one of these dressers from Wisteria meet the criteria.

Or for a slightly different look, these pieces would be a nice addition.







As for lamps, the possibilities are endless.

For the budget conscious, Ikea has a few options.




At a higher price point, Williams Sonoma Home and Pottery Barn have lovely choices.








And for the finishing touches, something on the walls would be nice.


This set of four animal prints from Wisteria is charming.


Or a large mirror is another option.


In the inspiration room, I like that there are three small rugs around the bed.  In my room I would do the same.



Once again, Ikea has a variety of reasonably priced choices.




And if you aren't on a budget, Williams Sonoma Home would be the place to go.



And to think that one little bench could lead to designing an entire room.  Perhaps someday I will be able to follow my dream and give this bench a proper atmosphere.  Until then I will enjoy it in the living room.


8 comments:

Julie said...

omg this makes me jealous. What a good find! Who makes the ruffle trimmed pillowcases, pray tell?

C. A. Farrell said...

Thanks Julie! The ruffle trimmed pillowcases are from Pine Cone Hill and they are also available as a duvet. And best of all the price is reasonable.

Sarah said...

Man, that is a GREAT find. Love it!!

Susan said...

What a great post. I love the room you used for inspiration. Thank you for all the ideas! I can't wait to see what you do in you own bedroom.

Susan said...

Consider this Oly bed also!

http://www.olystudio.com/products/beds/helena_headboard.html

C. A. Farrell said...

Susan,
Thanks for the suggestion. What a terrific bed! I love all the details on it.

Susan said...

Look at no. 8100--The Louis XVI bed. It's a lot like the one in your inspiration photo.

http://www.juliagrayltd.com/JuliaGrayCatalog/search.aspx?page=4

Ange said...

Oh, that bench is so lovely and the colours of the fabric would be good to work with.
Angex